Democrats start to hit the panic button
Add Reply
useapen
2024-10-10 08:20:00 UTC
Democrats’ nerves are at an all-time high.

Two months ago — even a month ago — they were feeling bullish about
Vice President Harris’s prospects of defeating former President Trump.

But now, with less than a month to go until Election Day, they’re
increasingly worried about a number of issues plaguing the Democratic
nominee’s campaign.

On Tuesday, there was grumbling from some Democrats about the vice
president’s interview on CBS’s “60 Minutes.”

There’s also concern on everything from the static poll numbers in the
race to the vice president’s messaging and even her standing with men —
not just white men but Black and Hispanic men, too.

Some of this perhaps can just be chalked up to normal Democratic nerves
ahead of what looks like it could be among the closest presidential
elections in history. Either way, it’s nerve-racking for Democrats.

“Everything is deadlocked and the composition of the electorate is
unknowable, and there are so many things that are unprecedented,” said
Democratic strategist Jamal Simmons, who served as Harris’s
communications director until last year.

“We can’t look back with any level of security because we haven’t had
an African American woman on the ticket. We haven’t had a former
president running again. We haven’t had a campaign with two
assassination attempts. We haven’t switched out a candidate two months
before Election Day before.”

“So it’s just hard to know,” Simmons explained. “If you’re not nervous,
you’re not paying attention.”

Democratic strategist Anthony Coley, who served in the Biden
administration, acknowledged the trepidation, pointing to the stagnant
poll numbers in the weeks following the Democratic National Convention,
when Democrats were making comparisons between Harris’s campaign and
former President Obama’s run in 2008.

“Now that the sugar high is gone, people have realized what Kamala
Harris has said from the start, which is that she is the underdog,”
Coley said. “This is going to be a fight. … These numbers are just so
stubborn.”

To be sure, there was good news for Democrats on multiple fronts in
recent days.

For starters, Harris benefited on the economic front following news of
a robust jobs report last week. Inflation — which has been a major
source of anxiety for Democrats — has also slowed. A port strike
threatening to hamper the economy was suspended.

A string of new polls also shows Harris with a lead. A New York
Times/Siena College poll on Tuesday, for example, found Harris ahead of
Trump nationally, with 49 percent support to his 46 percent, in a head-
to-head match-up among likely voters.

A Reuters-Ipsos survey also showed Harris with a 3-point edge — 46
percent to 43 percent — over Trump.

But the polls in the battleground states are tighter. The Hill/Decision
Desk HQ polling average for swing states shows that no one has a lead
of even a single percentage point in the nation’s seven key swing
states.

Democrats are the first to acknowledge that they have walked around in
a perpetual state of fear since the 2016 presidential race, when Trump
defeated Hillary Clinton in a surprise victory. Since then, they have
vowed to keep the former president from returning to the Oval Office, a
major reason why President Biden was pressured out for Harris in July.

“We are Democrats. We are professionally nervous,” Democratic
strategist Tim Hogan said.

Still, Hogan said the campaign has “found solid footing in organizing,
fundraising and messaging.”

“There’s confidence, but it’s measured because the stakes are so high,”
Hogan added. “For the next four weeks, it’s about channeling that
energy in productive ways: getting everyone on the doors and phones to
turn out the vote.”

Asked about the state of the race, one major Democratic donor dubbed it
a “flip of the coin.”

“I feel better than I did last week, but it still doesn’t feel great,”
the donor said. “I have a pit in my stomach.”

The donor attributed the feeling to several things but mostly pointed
to one major flaw: Harris’s economic message wasn’t resonating.

“And the economy is issues No. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5,” the donor said.

For weeks, Harris has been criticized by Republicans for not doing
interviews, an attack that became part of Trump’s talking points at
rallies and in his own sit-downs with conservative media.

But in recent days, she has embarked on a media blitz. This week —
after largely shunning journalists, talk show hosts and podcasters
since becoming the Democratic nominee — the vice president appeared on
CBS’s “60 Minutes,” Howard Stern’s show on SiriusXM, “Late Night with
Stephen Colbert” and even the popular women’s podcast “Call Her Daddy.”

Last week, Harris appeared on “All the Smoke,” a podcast hosted by two
former NBA players, where she talked about issues including legalizing
marijuana and even Trump’s comments on her racial identity.

The rash of interviews is part of a strategy aimed at speaking directly
to much-needed voting blocs that are still undecided — including Black
and Hispanic voters.

While Democrats said they were pleased to see Harris on a whirlwind
media tour, they also criticized her messaging on key issues including
the economy and immigration.

In the “60 Minutes” interview, one Democratic strategist praised her
comments on owning and shooting a gun, which they said would appeal to
moderates who are tired of Trump.

But at the same time, Harris’s comments largely fell flat, the
strategist said.

“She is still fine-tuning her message 28 days out, and I’m sorry, we
are in the ‘make the sale’ phase of the campaign now, we’re not still
tweaking the message,” the strategist said.

One Democratic consultant worried that while Harris’s campaign is
“doing all the right things” on fundraising, on its field operation,
and even paid media, “it may not be enough” for the vice president.

“We all knew this would be hard,” the consultant said. “It’s going to
come down to the wire. No one knows how this will end. That’s almost
the scariest part.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4922690-democrats-nervous-kamala-
harris-campaign/
Chris Ahlstrom
2024-10-10 10:54:12 UTC
Democrats' nerves are at an all-time high.
<wishful-thinking punditry snipped>
Meh.

The "Republicans" ought to be worried, as their candidate gets more and more
addled with each new hate rally in his ongoing disinformation campaign.

His lies are getting more and more insane. Abetted by a flood of
propagandists.

You know that, if Trump gets in, they'll find a way to 25th him, then Vance
will pardon him for all his crimes.
--
Albrecht's Law:
Social innovations tend to the level of minimum tolerable well-being.
Lil dwarf Rudey
2024-10-10 19:26:06 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Abetted by a flood of
propagandists.
Why are you death threat prosecution exempt by the Feds so far?

And after _so many_ death threats you issued on Trump and Vance...

Let's do our best to change that, shall we:

Governor Swill /Rudy Canoza/Lou Bricano/J Carlson/Michael A
Terrell/Chris Ahlstrom/Intelligent Party/Alan Bond/Henry Bodkin and a
few dozen other socks wrote:

Multiple death threats against Trump:

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Subject: Re: Triumphant Trump Photo After Assassination Attempt
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:38:43 -0400

Oh poor me I got shot at ...

Swill

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:37:51 -0400

Cheer up, maybe someone else will try.

Swill

From: J Carlson <***@gmx.com>
Newsgroups:
alt.politics.immigration,alt.politics.nationalism.white,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: AP Lies by Ommission About Identity of Invaders Charged with
Rape, Murder of 12-Year-Old
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 12:35:52 -0700
alt.politics.nationalism.white:10913 talk.politics.misc:1295918
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh:3024985
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
No. I am a patriotic American who wants the country and its people to
thrive. Getting rid of Trump permanently
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
is an important step to getting there.

That constitutes a DEATH THREAT against a former President, Rudey:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/871
18 U.S. Code § 871 - Threats against President and successors to the
Presidency
U.S. Code
Notes
prev | next
(a)Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail
or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any
letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any
threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon
the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice
President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office
of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or
knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the
President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the
order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years,
or both.
(b)The terms “President-elect” and “Vice President-elect” as used in
this section shall mean such persons as are the apparent successful
candidates for the offices of President and Vice President,
respectively, as ascertained from the results of the general elections
held to determine the electors of President and Vice President in
accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 1 and 2. The
phrase “other officer next in the order of succession to the office of
President” as used in this section shall mean the person next in the
order of succession to act as President in accordance with title 3,
United States Code, sections 19 and 20.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 740; June 1, 1955, ch. 115, § 1, 69
Stat. 80; Pub. L. 87–829, § 1, Oct. 15, 1962, 76 Stat. 956; Pub. L.
97–297, § 2, Oct. 12, 1982, 96 Stat. 1318; Pub. L. 103–322, title
XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

9-65.200 - Threats Against the President and Successors to the
Presidency; Threats Against Former Presidents; and Certain Other Secret
Service Protectees
The Counterterrorism Section of the National Security Division has
supervisory authority over 18 U.S.C. §§ 871 and 879 cases. As great
caution must be taken in matters relating to the security of the persons
protected by 18 U.S.C. § 871, United States Attorneys are encouraged to
consult with the Counterterrorism Section (CTS) of the National Security
Division when they have doubts on the prosecutive merit of a case. For
the same reason, dismissal of complaints under 18 U.S.C. § 871, when the
defendant is in custody under the Mental Incompetency Statutes (18
U.S.C. §§ 4244, 4246), requires approval from CTS. In other cases,
United States Attorneys must consult prior to dismissing a count
involving, or entering into any sentence commitment or other case
settlement involving a § 871 charge.

https://www.secretservice.gov/newsroom/releases/2024/01/phoenix-man-arrested-making-online-death-threats-against-president-and

PHOENIX –David Michael Hanson, 41, of Phoenix, was arrested on Wednesday
for making online threats against the President and Vice-President.
Hanson was charged by Federal criminal complaint on Tuesday with five
counts of Threats Against the President and Successors to the Presidency
and five counts of Interstate Communication of Threats.

The complaint alleges that in November and December of 2023, while
living in Arizona, Hanson used a social media platform to post threats
to murder the President and Vice President of the United States. On
November 19, 2023, Hanson posted online a series of threatening
statements including one that stated, “#joeAndKamala I’m asking you to
resign on Monday your alternative is death brutally murdered.” After the
U.S. Secret Service spoke to Hanson and warned him that it was a Federal
crime to post such threats, on December 23, 2023, Hanson posted another
series of similar threats aimed at the President and Vice-President.

Each count of Threats Against the President and Successors to the
Presidency carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison, a fine of
up to $250,000, and up to three years of supervised release. Each count
of Interstate Communication of Threats carries a maximum sentence of
five years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000, and up to three years of
supervised release.

A complaint is simply a method by which a person is charged with
criminal activity and raises no inference of guilt. An individual is
presumed innocent until evidence is presented to a jury that establishes
guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

The United States Secret Service is conducting the investigation in this
case. The United States Attorney’s Office, District of Arizona, is
handling the prosecution.

Those can be reported here:

https://tips.fbi.gov/home

https://www.justice.gov/action-center/report-crime-or-submit-complaint

https://www.secretservice.gov/contact

https://www.dhs.gov/see-something-say-something/reporting/california

Fellow citizens, won't you join in ending Rudey's terrorism here?

max headroom
2024-10-11 06:29:47 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Democrats' nerves are at an all-time high.
<wishful-thinking punditry snipped>
Meh.
The "Republicans" ought to be worried, as their candidate gets more and more
addled with each new hate rally in his ongoing disinformation campaign.
<guffaw> Project much?
Ah, a win-win!
Chris Ahlstrom
2024-10-11 10:50:20 UTC
Post by max headroom
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Democrats' nerves are at an all-time high.
<wishful-thinking punditry snipped>
Meh.
The "Republicans" ought to be worried, as their candidate gets more and more
addled with each new hate rally in his ongoing disinformation campaign.
<guffaw> Project much?
That makes no sense.
Post by max headroom
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
His lies are getting more and more insane. Abetted by a flood of
propagandists.
You know that, if Trump gets in, they'll find a way to 25th him, then Vance
will pardon him for all his crimes.
Ah, a win-win!
Sorry, but having two authoritarian pricks running the country into the
ground (much like the one prick did in his first term) isn't my idea of
a win.
--
I'll learn to play the Saxophone,
I play just what I feel.
-- Becker and Fagan, "Deacon Blues"
Skeeter
How did he run us into the ground?
max headroom
https://thefederalist.com/2024/07/23/by-the-way-kamala-harris-is-a-dangerous-authoritarian/
pothead
2024-10-12 11:56:50 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by max headroom
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
https://thefederalist.com/2024/07/23/by-the-way-kamala-harris-is-a-dangerous-authoritarian/
It makes me laugh when I hear democrats accusing Trump/Vance of being
authoritarian when it's really the democrats who are the fascist authoritarians.

Biden/Harris - Taking away your right to choose an ICE vs EV car.
Same for gas powered stoves, lawn equipment, heating systems, regulations on
A/C units and so forth.

Walz - Snitch lines during COVID. Forcefully have authorities remove a peaceful
family just sitting on their porch. Draconian COVID rules and so forth.

So tell me, how was Trump a fascist authoritarian during his presidency?
What rights did he take away?
And before the libbys start drooling about abortion, Trump appointed SCOTUS
judges and had no control over their rulings. Oh and all that was done was move
the decision to the state level where it should have been all along.

So again, specifically, how did Trump rule as an authoritarian?
What rights did you lose?
--
pothead
Kamala Harris Word Salad Special Of The Day
Served Complete With Venn Diagram Dressing
Lil dwarf Rudey
2024-10-15 15:29:12 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
That makes no sense.
Read it again, scumbag little man Jonathan D Ball...you are no more than
a failed solar city installer and Suckramento bungalow trash pretending
to be Phil Hendrie, but giving blow jobs at the TA glory Hole.

Explain why are you death threat prosecution exempt by the Feds so far?

And after _so many_ public death threats you issued on Trump and Vance...

Let's do our best to change that, shall we:

Governor Swill /Rudy Canoza/Lou Bricano/J Carlson/Michael A
Terrell/Chris Ahlstrom/Intelligent Party/Alan Bond/Henry Bodkin/Malte

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:38:43 -0400

Oh poor me I got shot at ...

Swill

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:37:51 -0400

From: J Carlson <***@gmx.com>
Newsgroups:
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 12:35:52 -0700
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
[...]

Fellow citizens, won't you join in ending Rudey's usenet terrorism here?