Texas Border Theater
Add Reply
Bradley K. Sherman
2024-10-15 13:32:22 UTC

<https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/border-crisis-texas-solutions/>

--bks
Dave Merrick
2024-10-15 13:49:33 UTC
Post by Bradley K. Sherman

| The Border Crisis Won't Be Solved at the Border
|
| If Texas officials wanted to stop the arrival of
| undocumented immigrants, they could try to make it
| impossible for them to work here. But that would devastate
| the state's economy. So instead politicians engage in
| border theater.
<https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/border-crisis-texas-solutions/>
--bks
Texas, a former slave state, still has the general compulsion to employ
illegal immigrants at below rock bottom wages to give the corpulent rightists
in power cheap labor and goods, and to improve their bottom line. They
prefer being able to blackmail workers with threats of violece or return to
the south in exchange for pennies.
186282@ud0s4.net
2024-10-16 04:43:55 UTC
Post by Dave Merrick
Post by Bradley K. Sherman

| The Border Crisis Won't Be Solved at the Border
|
| If Texas officials wanted to stop the arrival of
| undocumented immigrants, they could try to make it
| impossible for them to work here. But that would devastate
| the state's economy. So instead politicians engage in
| border theater.
<https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/border-crisis-texas-solutions/>
--bks
Texas, a former slave state, still has the general compulsion to employ
illegal immigrants at below rock bottom wages to give the corpulent rightists
in power cheap labor and goods, and to improve their bottom line. They
prefer being able to blackmail workers with threats of violece or return to
the south in exchange for pennies.
Texas HOPES the illegals will RETURN SOUTH.

As such, don't make thing especially pleasant
or easy for them here.
Siri Cruise
2024-10-16 15:59:19 UTC
Post by Dave Merrick
Post by Bradley K. Sherman

| The Border Crisis Won't Be Solved at the Border
|
| If Texas officials wanted to stop the arrival of
| undocumented immigrants, they could try to make it
| impossible for them to work here. But that would devastate
| the state's economy. So instead politicians engage in
| border theater.
<https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/border-crisis-texas-solutions/>
    --bks
Texas, a former slave state, still has the general compulsion to employ
illegal immigrants at below rock bottom wages to give the
corpulent rightists
in power cheap labor and goods, and to improve their bottom
line.    They
prefer being able to blackmail workers with threats of violece or return to
the south in exchange for pennies.
  Texas HOPES the illegals will RETURN SOUTH.
  As such, don't make thing especially pleasant
  or easy for them here.
<https://www.kut.org/politics/2022-12-21/without-enough-workers-in-the-u-s-to-fill-jobs-ranches-and-farms-in-texas-look-abroad>

No state has more ranches or farms than Texas, which produces
everything from cotton and corn to cattle and watermelons. Last
year, the agriculture industry brought in nearly $25 billion in
revenue.

But farmers continue to face a significant challenge: a labor
shortage.

“It's quite important, and it's just because of the type of work —
it's really hard, hard work,” said Luis Ribera, the director of
the Center for North American Studies at Texas A&M University.
“And domestic workers, they'd rather work somewhere else.”

As a result, the demand for foreign agricultural workers has hit
an all-time high, and experts say the trend could continue even
though the program that brings workers into the country, H-2A, is
ripe for exploitation.
--
Siri Seal of Disavowal #000-001. Disavowed. Denied. @
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
of Discordian Mysteries. This post insults Islam. Mohamed
Mitchell Holman
2024-10-16 18:27:05 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Dave Merrick
Post by Bradley K. Sherman

| The Border Crisis Won't Be Solved at the Border
|
| If Texas officials wanted to stop the arrival of
| undocumented immigrants, they could try to make it
| impossible for them to work here. But that would devastate
| the state's economy. So instead politicians engage in
| border theater.
<https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/border-crisis-texas-solu
tions/>
    --bks
Texas, a former slave state, still has the general compulsion to employ
illegal immigrants at below rock bottom wages to give the
corpulent rightists
in power cheap labor and goods, and to improve their bottom
line.    They
prefer being able to blackmail workers with threats of violece or return to
the south in exchange for pennies.
  Texas HOPES the illegals will RETURN SOUTH.
  As such, don't make thing especially pleasant
  or easy for them here.
<https://www.kut.org/politics/2022-12-21/without-enough-workers-in-the-
u-s-to-fill-jobs-ranches-and-farms-in-texas-look-abroad>
No state has more ranches or farms than Texas, which produces
everything from cotton and corn to cattle and watermelons. Last
year, the agriculture industry brought in nearly $25 billion in
revenue.
But farmers continue to face a significant challenge: a labor
shortage.
“It's quite important, and it's just because of the type of work —
it's really hard, hard work,” said Luis Ribera, the director of
the Center for North American Studies at Texas A&M University.
“And domestic workers, they'd rather work somewhere else.”
As a result, the demand for foreign agricultural workers has hit
an all-time high, and experts say the trend could continue even
though the program that brings workers into the country, H-2A, is
ripe for exploitation.
Texas absolutely depends on its illegals.

Economic benefits of illegal immigration
outweigh the costs
May 18, 2020

The economic benefits of illegal immigration
are greater than the costs of the public
services utilized, according to an expert at
Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public
Policy.

Indeed, for every dollar the Texas state
government spends on public services for
undocumented immigrants, new research
indicates, the state collects $1.21 in
revenue.

"Undocumented residents have a positive
influence and impact on the economy,
since they pay taxes and fees and
constitute an important part of the labor
market. Even if we consider the costs of
undocumented immigrants to the state of
Texas, the benefits outweigh the costs."

In 2018, the year on which the report
is based, Texas had "an estimated
1.6 million undocumented residents,
representing 5.7% of the total state
population," according to the paper.
Those residents support the economy by
working in industries such as
construction, agriculture, manufacturing
and services — with an unemployment rate
of only 5.7% in the state, according to
the paper. They pay sales tax and
consumer taxes, such as on gasoline and
motor vehicle inspections.

In fiscal year 2018, Texas collected
$2.4 billion in state taxes from this
group.

"Like any other Texan, undocumented
immigrants pay sales and excise taxes
when they buy goods and services," he
wrote. "They pay property taxes on
their owned or rented houses. Other
payments that undocumented immigrants
make to the state are related to fees
and fines, tuition and utilities."

The analysis found that illegal
immigration cost Texas a total of
$2 billion in 2018 through education,
health care and incarceration costs.
These include costs associated with
public schools, higher education,
substance abuse services, immunizations
and emergency health care.

Rodríguez-Sánchez also analyzed the
potential impact of deporting all such
residents from Texas. “In this case,
deportation would represent a shock to
the Texan economy,” he wrote.

"If all undocumented workers were
deported, Texas would lose more than
$41.9 billion in direct employment
compensation, defined as pretax salary
and wage earnings. The total lost would
be $70.3 billion, which represents a
reduction of 7.7% in state employment
compensation,” he wrote. “If even 20%
of this group were deported, the state
would lose approximately $8.4 billion
in direct employee compensation, and
the total impact would be $14 billion."

The report estimates that tax revenue
collected from such residents exceeded
what the state spent on them, resulting
in a net benefit of approximately
$420.9 million in fiscal year 2018.

"This means that for every dollar spent
on public services for undocumented
immigrants, they provide $1.21 in fiscal
revenue for the state of Texas,"
Rodriguez-Sanchez wrote.
https://tinyurl.com/536na78h
Lincoln Failed The Republic
2024-10-17 00:49:59 UTC
"The reported actions are not, and will not, be tolerated at Woodbury High School or in South Washington County Schools," Wagner said.

A substitute teacher has been banned from Woodbury High School after displaying "racially harmful" behavior in multiple classes, including reenacting how George Floyd was killed with a student.

The teacher was banned from campus on Monday after making multiple racially charged comments and gestures in four separate English classes, one of which was putting a student on the ground and reenacting how police "restrained" George Floyd when he was murdered in May of 2020.

"I specifically want to acknowledge racial harm that occurred when the substitute teacher reenacted the prone restraint that resulted in the murder of George Floyd," Woodbury High School's Principal, Sarah Sorenson-Wagner, said in an email to parents, which was first reported by Woodbury News Net.

"This reported behavior is reprehensible. I am embarrassed, and I am sorry this happened to our students. We will take as much time as students need to listen and create open space for courageous conversations that lead to healing, action, and education."

https://bringmethenews.com/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_620/MjEwMDI2ODI0ODQxODMxOTAy/img_3282.webp

After an initial email on Monday to parents assuring them the man was barred from campus as soon as his behavior was discovered, a follow-up email on Tuesday detailed what the substitute teacher said in his classes.

According to the email sent to students who reported the incident, the man thought they would want to hear about his life as a police officer, even though he is not a police officer in the state of Minnesota.

Other behaviors exhibited unprovoked during the classes are as follows:

Stating that "police brutality isn’t real."
Speaking at length about his gun collection.
Stated that “cops would be the best criminals” and that “they know how to get away with stuff,” saying that he once got an "A" on a paper about how to get away with murder.
Sharing the specific names of the people he arrested.
Speaking in disturbing detail about dead bodies he had seen and sharing explicit details about two sexual assault cases he investigated.
Telling sexist jokes.
Repeatedly telling racially harmful comments.
"Invading students’ space" and mimicking holding up a gun and pointing it at students.
Speaking about a bar fight and fake punching a student with his fist “really close” to the student’s face.
Twisting a student’s arm behind the student’s back and showed pressure points on the chin.
While the man's name has not been shared, Principal Wagner said in her email that the school sent a full report to the Minnesota Department of Education and PELSB (educator licensing department) and is collaborating with the Woodbury Police Department to investigate this incident.

The Woodbury Police department confirmed they will be investigating the incident further and are "disturbed" by what occurred. According to Woodbury police, the teacher has no affiliation with the department.

"The reported actions are not, and will not, be tolerated at Woodbury High School or in South Washington County Schools," Wagner said. "We are partnering with Teachers on Call, our substitute contracted vendor, to ensure that this person is removed from the Teachers on Call substitute list and will never be allowed to fill any vacancies in our school district."

Bring Me The News has attempted to contact the Teachers On Call, Principal Wagner, and the Superintendent of the South Washington County district but has not received a response at this time.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/substitute-teacher-banned-from-woodbury-high-after-reenacting-george-floyd-murder
Lincoln Failed The Republic
2024-10-17 04:32:57 UTC
A Hennepin County jury convicted a Minneapolis man Wednesday of fatally shooting a woman at close range in south Minneapolis last year.

Damarean Kaylon Bible, 25, was found guilty of second-degree murder with intent in connection with the Nov. 29, 2023 death of Savannah Ryan Williams, a 38-year-old transgender woman.

He now faces up to 40 years in prison.

Warning: The following contains graphic details.

The charges
According to the criminal complaint, police responded to the 3000 block of 4th Avenue South around 9 a.m. the morning of the shooting on reports of a person on the ground and not breathing in a courtyard.

https://bringmethenews.com/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_480/MjA4NDI2NzM3OTk2OTMyMjY5/mugshot-bible.webp
Hennepin County Jail

When officers arrived, they found Williams dead, with a gunshot wound to the head. She had a hooded sweatshirt on, and the gunshot residue found on the hood suggested the shot was from close range.

Witnesses told officers that they had heard a gunshot near the scene at approximately 5:45 a.m. and had seen a man, now known to be Bible, walking north from the scene along 4th Avenue toward Lake Street.

Surveillance video was recovered from nearby buildings, showing Williams and Bible walking toward the scene at approximately 5 a.m. Bible is then shown leaving the area alone around 5:45 a.m.

Investigators followed Bible on these surveillance videos to his apartment building at 95 South 10th Street., where management confirmed he was a resident.

Bible was arrested at his home, and when given a phone to call his parents in the jail, he was heard telling his dad that he "just murdered someone," and while feeling sorry, he "had to do it."

A search warrant for his apartment resulted in the finding of a 9mm Polymer80 handgun with no serial number and a .22 caliber rifle. They also found the shoes and clothes he wore during the murder.

Bible initially claimed he wasn't the shooter but then confessed after seeing the video evidence. He claims that while walking past a bus shelter in Lake Street, Williams had asked him if he wanted sex, to which he agreed. However, during and after they had sex, he said he felt "suspicious," so he shot her.

In the wake of the shooting, the Queer Legislative Caucus in the Minnesota House of Representatives issued a statement remembering Williams as a "beloved member of the transgender community."

“We stand in collective grief and outrage at the senseless murder of Savannah Ryan Williams, a 38-year-old transgender woman brutally taken from our community," the Caucus shared, in part.

In a statement Wednesday, Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she shares in the community's outrage over Williams' death.

"This was not an act of self-defense," Moriarty stated. "Mr. Bible caused immeasurable harm to Savannah's family and the broader community, and following today's verdict, he will face a long sentence, which is necessary to protect public safety."

Bible is scheduled to be sentenced September 11 at 8:45 a.m.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/jury-finds-minneapolis-man-guilty-in-killing-of-transgender-woman